Contentment: The virtue of God

Hebrews  13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Paul, the apostle, wrote, "I don't say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am" (Phil. 4:11). How could he make such a bold statement? Because he knew that contentment lies not in what he has, but in whose he is.

When you come into a relationship with God through his Son, Jesus Christ, you will  understand whose you are  and what you have.

A lack of contentment will cause you to look horizontally - at what others have you are never satisfied. But Contentment makes you  to look vertically - at God. When you look in his direction, regardless of your  possessions or lack of or status or lack of, then you  know that he is enough.

Contentment comes when we can honestly say with the apostle Paul, "I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret [of being content] - whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:12-13). Contentment is learned.

May I ask you a question? What is the one thing separating your from joy? How do you fill in the blank: "I will be happy when ____________?" When I am healed. When I am promoted. When I am married. When I am single. When I am rich. How would you finish the statement?

Now, with your answer firmly in mind, answer this. If your ship never comes in, if your dream never comes true, if the situation never changes, could you be happy? If not, then you are living in claws of discontentment.

Contentment isn't denying one's feelings about wanting and desiring what they can't have, but instead it exhibits a freedom from being controlled by those feelings.

Contentment isn't pretending things are right when they are not, but instead it displays the peace that comes from knowing that God is bigger than any problems and that he works them all out for our good.

Discontentment brings envy, envy leads to hatred, hatred leads to strive and sometimes leads to death.

For we Christian: Contentment knows that if we have Jesus we have enough.

God bless you.

Prayer Key:

1.  I refuse to be controlled by my wants and desire in Jesus Christ name.

2. God, help me to trust you with the little I have, believe you will multiply it in Jesus Christ name.

3. Lord kill every spirit of discontentment in me, so I can have true peace and happiness in Jesus Christ name. Amen.